Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tuesdays run from hell

So I have been doing two, 4 mile runs a day for almost 2 weeks now and it has been going really well…. Until Tuesday that is. We were about 3 miles in and passing the park when all of a sudden from down one of the paths I see this huge German shepherd come charging at us, teeth showing, growling, dragging part of his broken leash behind him. He got to us before I could blink. Panda and Sophie had wrapped themselves around one of my lags so I really couldn’t move. The dog started trying to bite Sophie and Panda and almost got them a few times, luckily they are so jumpy and fast he couldn’t. I (like a fool!) put my hand down to block / push him and he stats going after me. He tried to bite my hand and once I pulled that up he started going for my leg. I was so freaked and very much in shock. I did the first thing that came to mind and used my free leg to push my heel up into his soft spot by his tummy. (Like the dog whisperer does.) He stopped, looked at me and just sat right down and stayed there.
Just then I hear a woman behind me yell “Hey, you just kicked my dog! I’m calling the cops!”
I was SO pissed! I think you could probably see the smoke coming out of my ears. I flipped around and yell back “Are you f---ing kidding me? First of all I didn’t kick your dog, I did what any trainer would have said to do. And second your dog just attacked me and my dogs and almost bit us! You know what yes, let’s call the cops and call animal control while we are at it! So they can give you a huge flipping ticket and take that beast of yours away from you!”
She looked totally shocked. “No, no. You are right, I am sorry. It was totally my fault.” Then she says in a kind of snotty voice, “Are you all ok? Did he get you?”
Still fuming I say, “No he didn’t ‘get us’ or I WOULD be calling the cops and animal control.”
I turned and started to walk away and she says in a really snotty, short and sarcastic voice “Well I really am sorry.”
I flip back around and yell “Don’t be sorry, get that dog under control! If I ever hear of him doing this to ANYONE else I will make sure he is put down!”
Oh, I was SO mad! That was the edited version; I think that a lot more swear words came out of my mouth at the time. I am not one to EVER hurt an animal in any way (as I think we all know) but when my safety and the well being of my (babies) dogs are at stake I will do whatever I have to. I feel like I wasn’t in the wrong. Her dog never even yelped or anything so I don’t think I even hurt him, and I wasn’t trying to. I think he was more shocked than anything, which is what I was going for. Honestly I didn’t really even think before I acted it was all just happening to fast.
To any on lookers it must have been kind of funny seeing 5 foot tall, shy little me screaming at this woman that must have been a foot taller and at least 150 pounds heavier than me. I was shaking I was so mad. I normal don’t ever yell but I could not control myself.
Anyways that was my fun run for the week. I haven’t seen either of them since. Thank god!

No comments:

Post a Comment